Giving Tuesday, celebrated the first Tuesday after Thanksgiving, was created simply to encourage people to dedicate one day a year doing good. Over the years, #GivingTuesday has grown into a global movement that inspires hundreds of millions of people to give, collaborate, and celebrate generosity. It has always been an important day for rhinos, and this year, carries even more weight.
Significant decreases in government and donor revenue caused by the pandemic are jeopardizing critical rhino protection in Indonesia, home to two of the world’s most endangered rhino species. Javan and Sumatran rhinos are protected around the clock by Rhino Protection Units, even throughout the global lockdowns. With fewer than 80 individuals of each species left, we can’t afford to lose even one to poaching, so today we’re asking for your help to keep Rhino Protection Units in place throughout 2021.
Today, on Giving Tuesday, we’re trying to raise $50,000, to fund the operations of one Indonesian Rhino Protection Unit for one full year.
Two generous, long-time IRF donors have agreed to match every gift you make, dollar for dollar, today. That means your gift will go three times as far and make triple the impact for Sumatran and Javan rhinos and the people guarding them.
If you’ve already donated or can’t make a donation this year, there are plenty of other ways to help rhinos – like be an advocate. The more people that know about rhinos and the threats they face, the better chance all five species have to thrive. Team Rhino is big, so any effort adds up to make a big difference.
Here are some ways you can help rhinos on #GivingTuesday & everyday:
The more we know about rhinos, the easier it is to help them!
- Check out our new website, launched in October 2020.
- Get monthly updates on our international programs in our monthly e-newsletter.
- Our blog has moved! Make sure you’re getting notifications for blog posts at the bottom of rhinos.org/blog
- Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and subscribe to our YouTube channel.
- Learn about the five rhino species and our conservation programs for each.
- Read our 2020 State of the Rhino Report detailing conservation updates for each of the five species.
Spread the Word
Tell a friend! Now that you’ve learned more about rhinos, educate other people about them – where they live, why they’re threatened, and what’s being done to help them. The more people on Team Rhino, the better it is for all rhinos.
- If you already follow us on social media platforms, that’s great! You can do even more by liking, commenting, and sharing/retweeting our posts. The more likes and comments on a post, the more it will be seen by others. When you share a post, that taps into your whole network of friends & family and that awareness multiplies even more when one of them shares it too!
- See something you like on our website or blog? Share that too! We just launched a new website so would love help promoting it.
- We’d also love to know how you’re celebrating Giving Tuesday! You can take an #Unselfie (a selfie of you doing good) and tag us: (Facebook @InternationalRhinoFoundation; Twitter & Instagram @RhinosIRF) and use the hashtags #GivingTuesday #KeepTheFiveAlive #TeamRhino
- Share this blog post!
Wear Your Rhino Gear!
Of course profits from our shop sales go to our rhino conservation efforts, but also, wearing that shirt, hat, or sweatshirt you bought is a great conversation starter and the perfect opportunity to tell people about rhinos.
Get our limited edition 2020 Holiday Ornament while it lasts! These hand knit rhinos are going fast, so order yours before they’re gone.Now officially SOLD OUT – but there are plenty more options in our shop.
- Do your holiday shopping at our rhino shop. We have a large selection of Team Rhino apparel, jewelry, and stocking stuffers – we even have a new ‘Keep the Five Alive’ mask. And from now until Dec 10th, water bottles are 25% off and we’ll include a sticker with every purchase!
- See something you’d like as a gift? Share the link with your friends!
Start a fundraiser
Maybe you can’t donate, but you might know people who can. These days people are getting very creative with their fundraisers for conservation. It seems there’s no limit to what you can do – even virtually!
- Start a Facebook fundraiser. When you select the International Rhino Foundation, 100% of the funds you raise on Facebook come directly to us.
- Get some creative fundraising inspiration from the American Association of Zookeepers.
- You can also adapt some party and fundraising ideas from our Cinco de Rhino toolkit.
More Ways to Give
- Become a sustainer. Join our community of monthly givers.
- Donate stocks and securities. Learn more here.
- Make a lasting impact with your Donor Advised Fund.
- Leave a legacy for rhinos with FreeWill.
- See if your employer will match your gift!