This year is the 10th anniversary of World Rhino Day! But what is World Rhino Day, how do you celebrate it, and most importantly how does it help rhinos?
World Rhino Day is a day of awareness for all five rhino species and the work being done to save them. Since 2011, World Rhino Day has been celebrated by rhino conservationists and fans around the world on September 22nd. Here at IRF, every day revolves around rhinos, but for World Rhino Day we encourage everyone to celebrate rhinos and the work being done to save them. The more people that know about rhinos and the threats they face, the better chance all five species have to thrive. Our goal is to get as many people around the world as possible talking about rhinos on World Rhino Day!
Here are some ways you can help us KEEP THE FIVE ALIVE on World Rhino Day and everyday:
When it fits into your budget, a donation is a great way to make a direct, immediate impact for rhinos. You can make a tax-deductible donation any time at rhinos.org/donate. Last year, we broke a World Rhino Day fundraising record, so this year we’re trying to raise $20,000 for rhinos!
- Double you donation! Use this tool to see if your employer has a matching gift program.
- Become a monthly sustainer – one of the most efficient ways to support IRF.
- Adopt a black rhino or K9 ranger and provide direct support to our programs in southern Africa.
- Learn about more ways to give including stocks, donor advised funds, and planned giving.
The more we know about rhinos, the easier it is to help them!
- Get monthly updates on our international programs in our monthly e-newsletter. Sign up by September 19th to be among the first to see the 2021 State of the Rhino Report.
- Subscribe to our YouTube channel. Once we hit 1000 subscribers, we’ll be able to reach even more people and raise more awareness for rhinos!
- Be the first to see our blog posts when you sign up for email notifications.
- Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn.
- Learn about the five rhino species and our conservation programs for each.
- Read our newly released State of the Rhino report!
Spread the Word
Tell a friend! Now that you’ve learned more about rhinos, educate other people about them – where they live, why they’re threatened, and what’s being done to help them. The more people on Team Rhino, the better it is for all rhinos.
- If you already follow us on social media platforms, that’s great! You can do even more by liking, commenting, and sharing/retweeting our posts. The more likes and comments on a post, the more it will be seen by others. When you share a post, that taps into your whole network of friends & family and that awareness multiplies even more when one of them shares it too!
- We’ve created a social toolkit just for World Rhino Day with graphics and captions ready to go – feel free to share these or any of the posts you see on our social media platforms.
- See something you like on our website or blog? Share that too – share this blog post!
- We’d love to know how you’re celebrating World Rhino Day! Post your own photo or facts and tag us: (Facebook @InternationalRhinoFoundation; Twitter & Instagram @RhinosIRF) and use the hashtags #KeepTheFiveAlive #WorldRhinoDay #WRD2021 #TeamRhino
Wear the Shirt
Of course profits from our shop sales go to our rhino conservation efforts, but also, wearing that shirt, hat, or sweatshirt you bought is a great conversation starter and the perfect opportunity to tell people about rhinos.
- Get our limited edition World Rhino Day 2021 shirt while it’s here! We’ll only be taking orders for this design until Thursday, September 30, 2021.
- Stock up on Team Rhino gear at our rhino shop. And keep an eye out for new items!
- Know someone who might like the World Rhino Day shirt or one of our shop items? Share the link with them, or surprise them with a gift.
Start a fundraiser
Maybe you can’t donate, but you might know people who can. These days people are getting very creative with their fundraisers for conservation. It seems there’s no limit to what you can do – even virtually!
- Start a Facebook fundraiser. When you select the International Rhino Foundation, 100% of the funds you raise on Facebook come directly to us.
- Host an event. Get some virtual fundraising inspiration from the American Association of Zookeepers.
- Make sure to tell people why rhinos are important to you and how important it is to save them.
Join us on World Rhino Day- Wednesday 9/22
- We’ll be online all day sharing messages from our conservation partners around the world. Say ‘hi’ or tag us in a post and we just might share your message too!
- Follow along on Chris’s Rhino Road Trip as he visits the rhinos and staff at The Wilds, Columbus Zoo, Indianapolis Zoo, and Nashville Zoo.
- Join us LIVE for any (or all) of these events on World Rhino Day!
- 9:00 am EST Nina Fascione (IRF Executive Director) will provide her annual State of the Rhino address, detailing population trends and other topics in rhino conservation. The video will be streamed on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and Youtube. And we’ll be watching live with you, so join our watch parties on FACEBOOK or YOUTUBE and say hi!
- 11:00 am EST CeCe Sieffert (IRF Chief Conservation Director) joins Exploring By The Seat of Your Pants to talk Javan and Sumatran rhinos with students. Special guest, Sectionov (IRF Indonesia Program Manager), will join her from Indonesia. Tune in live on YouTube
- 1:30 pm EST Dr. Rhino will be live from Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Gardens, talking rhinos with the zoo team on Twitch at Twitch.tv/drrhino_
- 2:30 pm EST Chris Whitlatch (IRF Communications Director) will bring you up close and personal with the white rhinos at the Nashville Zoo live on our Facebook page.
There’s no wrong way to celebrate World Rhino Day, but if you’d like to help rhinos- there are plenty of ways! Every effort adds up to make a BIG difference. We are so grateful for your support for rhinos and appreciate any way you can contribute to their survival.
Thank you Team Rhino and Happy World Rhino Day!